• May 5GRADUATION!!!!!!!! June. 2

• May 5Memorial Day May. 29

• April 25Track State Championships, May. 20

Girl’s Golf Swings into State Championships

The Girl's Golf team poses with the layton lancers handshape.

Steven A., Reporter

Golf is a game of skill and experience, requiring a keen eye, a strong swing, and a little luck. The girl’s golf team has done exceptionally well this season. The girls achieved second place in region and Katlin Wilcox, Anastasia Godfrey, Samantha Brunker, and Mazy Fatcliffe attended the state championship.

The team’s initial goal this year was to be in the top 4 in region, but due to how well the girls played they went farther than they imagined. Second year golf coach Officer Godfrey said, “This is totally new to me–coaching golf, but I couldn’t have asked for a better year.” Coach Godfrey’s most memorable game was an 18-hole match  in which Katlin Wilcox had 6 over par and the team took second place in the match.

Senior, Katlin Wilcox has gotten into the top ten every year except one, she thinks the most difficult thing in the sport is playing as a team, it’s hard to shift from playing as an individual to playing as a team. What originally got her into golf was in ninth grade the coach approached her and asked her if she wanted to play golf, and since her brother played golf as well she agreed. Katlin’s advice to others is, “Drive for show, putt for dough,” meaning a long drive (tee shot) impresses the gallery, but the people who usually win the money are those who putt well that week.

Returning players are looking forward to more improvement next year.