• May 5GRADUATION!!!!!!!! June. 2

• May 5Memorial Day May. 29

• April 25Track State Championships, May. 20

Record Breaking Year for Track and Field

Sydney S.

Spring is in the air and feet are hitting the track (and field). The season for outdoor track and field is finished and Layton High athletes have worked hard to break personal and school records. Team Captains this year were Davis Wall and Liza Dummer. While there were captains over different categories of events, they were the overall male and female captains.

This year the team boasted an exceptionally large number of competitors with 80 boys and 60 girls. As the team saw an increase in participation, they also saw an increase in athletes qualifying to compete at state. According to Coach Carrie Fredin, girls head coach, double the amount of athletes qualified for State. Junior Katrina Broadhead qualified for the 100m hurdles with a time of 14.75 seconds, and Kate Richardson for the 1600m with a time of 5:08.32 minutes and the 3200m with a time of 11:20.60 minutes.

Coach Fredin also mentioned that the boy’s medley team comprised of Davis Wall, Paul Pincock, Declan Brown, and Canyon Bryson has also been competitive taking first at region with a time of 3:15.31 minutes.

Senior Davis Wall competed in the 300m hurdles. Wall started running to help keep in shape for other sports, but the benefits were so great that it became his main sport. When he was a sophomore there weren’t very many students from Layton competing in his event; now hurdles are one of the most popular events at the school.

Another hurdler, Katrina Broadhead, junior, is gaining recognition for her performance on the track. She has already qualified for state running the 100m hurdles. At region she broke the school’s previous record 14.82 seconds with a time of 14.75 seconds. She progressed throughout the season and hopes to see continued progress in the years to come.

Kate Richardson, sophomore, had a very successful season as well. She competed in the 1600m, the 3200m, as well as on the girl’s medley team. This is her first year at Layton but has already made quite a name for herself. Kate also broke a school record this year on the 3200m (2 mile) event with a time 10:59 minutes, the previous record being 11:16 minutes. She also broke the school 1600m (1 mile) record with a time of 5:04.25 minutes, the previous being 5:04.75.

The State tournament was held at BYU and Layton show up with some talented athletes ready to compete. In the finals, Katrina Broadhead took 5th in the hurdles; Davis Grubb placed 5th in the javelin throw. LHS’s 4X100 Women’s relay team comprised of Astle, Westenskow, Wood and Broadhead took 8th place and the 4 x 400 girls relay team comprised of Dummer, Astle, Barlow and Case took 9th also. Sophomore Kate Richardson took 4th in the 2 mile and 4th in the 1 mile. All 6 LHS relay teams went to state.

Final results from State:

Katrina Broadhead: 5th in Hurdles and 5th in Long Jump

Davis Grubb: 6th in Javelin

4 X 100 team: Astle, Westenskow, Wood and Broadhead: 8th place

4 X 400 team: Dummer, Astle, Barlow and Case: 9th place

Sophomore Kate Richardson: 2 mile—4th place and 1 mile—4th place

Pele Fa: 5th in Discus and 7th in shotput