Centurion

Sweet Success as the Lancer Boys’ Basketball Team shove aside Davis and take the Region Lead

Photos edited by Luis G.

Photos edited by Luis G.

Katie B., Editor

Cheers echoed in the gym as Layton fans dressed in a “white out” to show their support for the Lancer Boys’ basketball team as they decimated the Davis Darts. Every dribble of the basketball pummeled the court and player’s shoes pounded the court as both teams fought for a win. Skill and talent by both teams was shown as the battle continued for two hours. Both wanted to be crowned victor, but Layton proved they deserved the win. Coach Miller smirked with a victorious taunt, “Any time we beat these guys it’s fun.”

Friday kicked off the start of the basketball season with Layton’s home game victory against Davis, ending with a final score of 60-53. With one-minute left in the game, Davis broke through Layton’s defense and stole a one-point lead. Seconds ticked away as the Layton High Boys’ basketball team forced the scoreboards to a tip in their favor, taking back their win.

Senior Truman Brown scored a whopping 22 points, despite a sprained ankle he caught in the first half of the quarter. “That’s got to be one of the gutsiest plays made by a high school student I’ve ever seen.” Miller laughed in good-humor. Chase Potter scored 14 points forcing Davis aside and leaving Layton standing number one in Region play.

Senior Connor Hill imposed an impassible defense against Davis High’s Tyson GarffGarff scored 14 points in the first half, but Hill shut him out in the second half.  Garff only scored one point in the second quarter.

Edited by Luis G.

Skyler Turner pounded the floorboards in a meticulous effort to defend the hoop with his arching blocks. Though the only junior on the court, Paul Jeffson proved himself worthy of being the team’s starter and center with his stunning plays and lightning-fast passes.

The Lancer Boys’ basketball team resembled a well-oiled machine with each player turning in perfect motion like greased gears. Their skill and talent complimented one another in unison and, though it is early, they are prepared to fight for their standing in first place.

Katie B., Editor

My name is Katie and am a Junior at LHS. I serve as the Editor for the Newspaper, but am also involved with AP classes, volunteering in the ER department...