Centurion

LHS Model UN Competed at Weber and Proved Themselves Ardent Negotiators

Layton High's Model United Nations competed at Weber State University with other schools located in Northern Utah. Layton Lancers proved themselves to be formidable with negotiation and their extensive knowledge about their countries and how they individually play a part in our global community.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Vladislav Klapin on Unsplash

Photo by Vladislav Klapin on Unsplash

Vladislav Klapin

Photo by Vladislav Klapin on Unsplash

Vladislav Klapin

Vladislav Klapin

Photo by Vladislav Klapin on Unsplash

Katie B., Editor

March 14, Layton High’s Model United Nations (UN) team went to the Northern Utah Model United Nations Conference at Weber State University campus in Ogden, Utah. Model UN is where high school students can participate in a ‘mock’ UN meeting by taking on roles of Ambassadors from various countries and then debating current issues that the real UN might also discuss. The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945, after World War II. This international organization is committed to maintaining international peace, worldwide security, developing friendly relations among nations, promoting social progress, better living standards, and advocating human rights. Presently, there are over a hundred and ninety countries apart of the UN.
The UN is made up of the General Assembly, Security Council, Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), and other smaller committees. The General Assembly is the main, policymaking and representative group for the UN. Each country part of the UN has a seat to discuss international issues and request the help of the UN. In addition, the Security Council’s primary responsibly is to maintain international peace and security. It is the Security Council that will determine where a UN peacekeeping operation should be deployed. There are fifteen members overall: ten seats are rotated while five nations have permanent seats, including the United States, China, France, Russia, and the United Kingdom. Finally, the ECOSOC is tasked to promote higher stands of employment, economic/social progress, identify solutions to international problems, facilitating international cooperation, and encourages universal respect.

The Model UN competition consisted of about twelve other schools. Each school represents at least one country, or countries depending on the number of students in the club. Layton represented Denmark, Guatemala, and the United Arab Emirates. A country is made up of two people who then argue a pressing issue. Overall, there were about six committees. Topics ranged from “Non-proliferation/Democratic People’s Republic of Korea,” “A World Against Violence & Violent Extremism,” “The human right to safe drinking water and sanitation,” “Women, disarmament, non-proliferation, and arms control,” and “Human rights in the Information society.”

Model UN member, senior Sariah Pratt, was on the committee for Disaster Risk Reduction. She expressed that much of the preparation put into the competition is in tedious research, like the statistics of imports and exports in a nation for a given year. Another aspect of the organization is creating a “policy paper” before the competition. The policy paper describes an issue, what the nation is doing about the problem, and what that nation would like the UN to accomplish and do about the situation.
Pratt marks a clear distinction in Model UN that differs in just politics, “You don’t represent yourself; you represent the country.” She continues to explain that American politics are more party-oriented (such as Republican or Democratic) and appear  more divided. However, when representing a nation, the goal is focused more on the international community, rather than just a single nation.

Pratt joined Model UN to educate herself on world discussions and says, “We live in a bubble, especially in Layton Utah.” By joining Model UN, she was able to educate herself on global matters, rather than just domestic and even local issues. She also stated that she wants to go into international relations in the future and believes that Model UN is a step in that direction. Her participation in Model UN has opened her eyes to foreign policies, cultures, and the problems facing our generation, because it is ultimately this generation that will inherit these issues facing world leaders.

Awards for each committee are certificates of superior and excellence. Overall, Layton won five superior awards, three in excellence, and one superior for the policy paper.

Katie B., Editor

My name is Katie and am a Junior at LHS. I serve as the Editor for the Newspaper, but am also involved with AP classes, volunteering in the ER department...