Centurion

LHS Soccer team scores 1st Varsity win on football turf

Back to Article
Back to Article

Carter Johnson heads the ball to Tyson Siddowey towards the goal! The game was a home win for Layton High.

Luis Gutierrez

Luis Gutierrez

Luis Gutierrez

Luis G., Photographer

When the LHS Boy’s Varsity Soccer team ferociously beat Fremont 2 to 1 on our home turf, the team became the first LHS Varsity team to win on the football turf.  Construction on Layton’s soccer field has bumped the boys’ soccer games to the newly renovated football turf.  The recent renovation of the football field included replacing the grass field for artificial turf.  For this year, the Boy’s soccer season will feature all games on the football turf.  Spectators will have bleachers to sit on as they cheer on the team.

Playing soccer on turf presents a couple of new problems.  A football field is much larger than a typical soccer field and the ball moves faster; increasing the game’s tempo.  Senior Brayden Young, one of the team captains, said in addition to speed, the ball moves differently on the turf.  Players have to work harder to keep the ball in control.

Additional captains for the team include Seniors, Christian Logan, Brendan Stansfield, and Leo Urrutia.  Goal keeper, nicknamed “Little boy yip”, is played by Braden Grow. He complements the team well with his defensive skills to stop the ball from entering the hallowed goal. Though Grow is small in stature, he moves quickly and owns the goal.

Presently the team is in 3rd place, but there are still more region games to be played and team rankings could change.  Currently, Weber High appears to pose a real challenge.  Weber took first place in their region last year and only lost two seniors to this year’s team.  They are quick and strong and seem to understand how to put the ball in the goal. Also, Davis High always shows up with talent so Layton will need to make sure they are on top of their game when they meet these two powerhouses on the field.

The team carries 12 seniors, 13 juniors, and 3 freshmen overall. Seniors Young, Mathias, and Logan have all been recruited by local colleges.  Team captain, Brendan Stansfield, has signed to play at Yavapai in Arizona.  He will be playing for them in the fall.

Both Young and Stansfield agree that the team is full of talent, but struggles to finish the game strong. When they get close to finishing, the team backs off and loses some of their aggression. In turn, they lose the chance to score a goal. Stansfield recognized Senior Leo Urrutia as one of their strongest players.  He is incredibly fast and his strong dribbling skills are far superior to opponents one on one.

The team has only six returning seniors; so they have had to work hard and learn each other’s skills and abilities.

Stansfield’s most memorable game was against Northridge.  It seemed as though Layton would be packing home a loss, but it was Stansfield who shot the winning goal in the last second, preventing a return score from Northridge. Stansfield loves the sport because you have to control the ball with only your feet—no hands.

Update: Layton beat the Weber Warriors with a final score of 2:1 on the Warrior’s turf.

Luis Gutierrez, Photographer

”Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. 31 The second is this: ‘Love...