Centurion

Drill team helps “Make a Wish Come True”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Amanda B., Journalist

Lancelles In front of the lion cage at the Salt Lake Hogle Zoo.

No one could have guessed that a year ago, when the Lancelles started learning their character routine, they would be called upon and asked to help “Make a Wish Come True!” The “Make a Wish Foundation” in Utah grants wishes for patients that are critically ill.  It is a national organization with a chapter functioning in Utah. On average cross the nation, a wish is granted every 34 minutes.  That’s a lot of wishes! Private and public donations are used to grant wishes and they can fall in various categories.  Some want to meet a “Super Hero,” others a Jazz player, many want to go see Disneyland or meet someone famous.  The wish the Lancelles helped with was made by a 17-year-old high school student who is currently battling cystic fibrosis. Her prognosis is terminal; her wish: to visit Africa.

Zagg, a South Salt Lake company based deals with electronics, has made multiple donations to the “Make a Wish Foundation” and has been the donator to fund most of the Africa trip.

With the trip financed, the foundation needed a plan to present the wish. Ta-duh—drum roll please—The Layton High Lancelles performed their character routine, based around the Lion King, as lionesses, lions, antelopes, giraffes, hyenas, and other savanna animals. A perfect way to share the good news with the recipient.

Drill team coach, Michelle Reed, was contacted by the local chapter and asked if the drill team would be willing to be a part of the presentation of the wish. “Absolutely!” Reed said. A member of the audience at the state drill competition had seen the routine and thought it would be a perfect choice to help make the wish come true.

Dressed in their costumes, the drill team met the recipient at her car and performed snippets of their dance; leading her to the Salt Lake City zoo, doing what they do best—dancing their hearts out as another wish was about to come true! The wish was presented by a representative from the Zagg corporation in front of the lion cage. A truly unforgettable moment for the girl and the drill team!

So often, as the Lancelles work throughout the year to prepare and perform, it is a lot about themselves, but this time it was about others. Coach Reed said it was so neat to see the team have a chance to give back and serve someone else. “We have a lot of support throughout the year, but this time we got to be the support system!”

Junior Lindsie Mcfarlane, a member of drill team, recalled the scene, “It was so cool to be a part of it and to see the reaction of the girl and the family. I love sharing my talent, but this was very different!” All the drill team members moved through the crowd, addressing children and making the moment a perfect one to “Make a Wish come True!”