Centurion

Katrina Broadhead topples the 20-year hurdle record

Katie B., Editor

Senior Katrina Broadhead, who stands at a remarkable 5’11, shattered the dusty 20-year-old Layton High hurdle record with an astounding 14.75 ft.

Broadhead competes in hurdles, the long jump, and the 4 by 1, a 100-meter relay race. Ashley AstleAbby Smith, and Natalie Wood are Broadhead’s teammates in the relay. However, Broadhead says her best track event is the 100-meter hurdle. She expresses that her favorite thing about track is the adrenaline rush, “I’m okay with whatever happens. You don’t know if you’re going to win or lose… It really motivates me to work harder.”  

However, Broadhead did not always compete on just track. When she was in Junior High, she played volleyball, basketball, and track. She was known as a ‘tri-athlete’. Eventually, she stopped playing basketball, disliking the high contact, and in high school, she stopped playing on the volleyball team. Ultimately, she wanted to be involved with a sport that would play to the best of her abilities. 

Now, much of Broadhead’s attention is on her future finishing high school. Currently, she is considering signing with the University of Utah and wants to go in with a good start. Broadhead’s ambitious goals also include trying to take a shot at breaking the long jump record. Last year she ranked fifth in state and jumped an incredible height of 18.4 ft. 

But currently, Broadhead continues to be involved with her schoolwork and expressed that you cannot have one without the other, “I have to remember that if I want to race I have to keep my grades up.” She briefly explained that the beginning of the year was stressful with academics and handled it by remembering to keep them somewhat separate and that school always comes first.

Outside of school, Katrina Broadhead said that she likes to “keep it easy” with her friends and enjoys listening to music during long drives. 

Overall, Broadhead continues to represent Layton High’s unstoppable track team and continues to dominate in her events, giving another example of Layton Lancer’s limitless determination. 

Katie B., Editor

My name is Katie and am a Junior at LHS. I serve as the Editor for the Newspaper, but am also involved with AP classes, volunteering in the ER department...