Centurion

LHS students break school records for the heptathlon and decathlon

Katie B., Editor

Senior Daisy Barker shoves aside Layton High School’s previous record for the heptathlon, with an astounding 4,126 points.

A heptathlon is a track and field combined event made up of seven events. The events are broken up into two days. On the first day, athletes compete in the 100-meter hurdles, high jump, shot put, and 200-meter. The second day is comprised of the long jump, javelin, and 800-meter. To emphasize the accomplishment of this feat, one meter is equal to about three feet.

Barker expressed her vehement desire to continue pursuing track and field into colleges, saying, “That’s my dream: to compete at a college level.” She continued to say that after the heptathlon, she spoke with multiple colleges about the possibility of future attendance.

Racing to break another record at Layton High, Senior Carson Smith shatters the decathlon record for Layton High again with an incredible 6,247 points. This time, he placed first overall in the events, rather than fourth place from last year.

A decathlon is comprised of four track and six field events, making a whopping total of 10 events. Competitions include the 100-meter sprint, 110-meter hurdles, 400-meter event, 1,500-meter, long jump, high jump, shot put, discus throw, javelin throw, and pole vault. Again, the events are divided into two days, five events one day and the remaining five the following day.

Smith described the colleges he has been reaching out to, most notably the Pack 12, USC, Weber, Washington State, and Arizona. He said that it was in 9th grade that he really began to get involved in track, saying, “I saw it as something I could do well.” Though standing at a small frame of 5’10”, Smith proves that he truly is a competitor to be reckoned with. Barker reminds us that we are resilient enough to overcome any barriers that we, or others, may impose on ourselves.

Katie B., Editor

My name is Katie and am a Junior at LHS. I serve as the Editor for the Newspaper, but am also involved with AP classes, volunteering in the ER department...