The Student News Site of Layton High School 440 Lancer Lane, Layton UT, 84041

Centurion

• LHS Choir SLC Tour Dec. 1, 2017

• Fall Musical Performance Nov. 30-Dec. 2nd, @7pm – 10pm Little theater

• Laytonairre Winter SLC Tour Nov. 28, @11AM – 9PM

• Thanksgiving Nov 23, 2017

• Junior Jostens Meeting Nov. 6, @10:00AM – 10:35AM

• BAM Walk-a-Thon Fundraiser Nov. 10, @7PM – 9PM, on the Layton high track

• Veterans Day Nov 11.

• Veterans Day observed Nov 10.

• Senior Graduation Meeting Nov. 6, @9:10am – 9:40am

• Daylight Saving Time ends Nov. 5

• Key Club blood drive Nov. 2, @8:00 AM auditorium foyer

• Key Club Induction Nov. 1, @7:00 PM Little Theatre

Star Wars Film Rogue One Mixes Old Characters With New Technology for an Amazing Story

Kenner B., Reporter

Rogue One, first aired in late 2016, was the first of three films in the Star Wars Anthology Series and takes place in between episodes three and four of the original Star Wars series. The plot follows the story of Jyn Erso (played by Felicity Jones), daughter of Galen Erso (Madds Mikkelsen). Her father was a brilliant man and was forcibly recruited by the Imperial Empire to complete the Death Star.

Jyn grows up ridiculed for her father’s assistance to the Empire. Meanwhile, Rebel officer Cassian Andor (Diego Luna) accompanied by his smart-mouthed, statistical robot K-2SO (voiced by Alan Tudyk), rescues grown-up Jyn from the Imperials who have been keeping her captive. Given an ultimatum, Jyn chooses to aid The Resistance in helping them find her father. The three head to Jeddah and meet some unlikely heroes along the way. Jyn sees an old message from her father in which he explains his actions and how he built a subtle flaw into the Death Star in the hopes that it would be able to be destroyed.

Jyn delivers her father’s message orally to The Rebellion and tries to get the rebels to go to Scarif, where the plans for the Death Star are being stored. She is met with skeptic looks; nobody wants to risk trusting the daughter of the man who built such an evil weapon. Frustrated at the Rebellion’s lack of trust, Jyn sets off with her own small group of friends and a few rebels to Scarif to steal the plans.

Rogue One was a very entertaining movie to watch. It boasts the perfect blend of old and new, connecting the older three Star Wars movies to the newer three movies in a way that felt seamless but also carried a freshness that made it enjoyable on its own. Returning fans of the series will appreciate its rich lore filled with references to people and organizations found in the other movies as well as new topics introduced such as the kyber crystal temple found on planet Jeddah. Newcomers to the sometimes overwhelming and all-encompassing Star Wars series will still be able to enjoy the movie’s plot as the plot is engaging enough to stand alone.

The characters seemed well developed and were easy to connect with and support along their journey. There were many parts throughout the film that were simply hilarious and filled the whole theater with laughter, which was something one normally doesn’t expect when going to see a sci-fi movie as serious as Star Wars can be. There were parts where viewers had sympathy for the characters as they struggled with the immense challenges they faced, and the audience cheered for the characters as they pursued their goal. While some complained for the movie’s lack of the Jedi, the force was still present through unforgettable characters like Chirrut Îmwe and his famous catch phrase, “I am one with the force, the force is with me.”

New technology was used in the making of this movie to bring back classic characters like Imperial Governor Tarkin among others so that the film would transition seamlessly into the next film in chronological order (Star Wars: A New Hope) with major characters looking the same as they did back in the late 1970’s film. The faces of these returning characters were superimposed onto the bodies of actors through Industrial Light & Magic, the special effects company that George Lucas created. Using the tedious magic of CGI, these characters were able to add to the story, really connecting the old and new movies by showing some continuity in character appearance.

Rogue One is a very intriguing installment in the Star Wars series and should be commended for its excellent use of technology and plot to create a film that is both entertaining on its own as well as instrumental at perfectly bridging the gap between the old and the new movies.