Centurion

Layton Wrestlers Crush Competition Taking 1st in State

Sydney S., Reporter

Lights are out in the arena and the stench of sweat hangs in the air. Suddenly a booming voice calls out the name of the first wrestler. He runs out of the tunnel onto the mat, followed shortly by his opponent. The crowd cheers wildly. The wrestlers are given a minute to prepare. Spotlights come on, the ref gives the signal and the state finals match begins.

Victorious Win by Tanner Benedict!!! Photographer Cheryl Benedict

On February 8th and 9th, Layton High sent several wrestlers to compete in the State Wrestling Competition at Utah Valley University. Leading up to this competition the team had taken first in Region and first in the State duals tournament. Their main goal: dethrone Pleasant Grove High School of their 6-year reign, and dethrone them they did with a combined team score of 259.5 points. Layton crushed the competition.

While each person was competing with the hope of placing, they never forgot the importance of how their performance would impact the team. LHS Senior, Tanner Benedict, wrestling veteran said “Every victory pushed you harder, you wanted to be better for the team.” The team points came from every match throughout the two-day tournament. “We knew from the first match in the finals round that we would win [as a team] because enough points had added up over the tournament,” said Austin Clem, Senior. Even with that in mind, those able to compete in the last round were fighting to win the personal title.

Four LHS students took first place in their weight divisions: Austin Clem, division 182; Tanner Benedict, division 126; Terrell Barraclough, division 120; and Tyson Humphries in division 113. When asked about how he felt right before a match Clem replied, “I felt ready and wanted to have fun, and do what I was trained to do. I was ready to go out there and bring the ruckus as coach always says.” Clem described his experience winning the final match. “I was down by two points with two minutes left in the match. My opponent was physically sitting on top of me. Since he was stalling the ref gave me two points which tied the score. With 4 seconds left I escaped his hold which gave me another point. I ended up winning 4-3.” He was the final wrestler from Layton competing that day and guaranteed the teams win.

State Champs!!!
Photographer Cheryl Benedict

Other notable placements of Layton High Wrestlers in the State Tournament included Steven Quintana taking 2nd in division 145; Cole Faust taking 4th in division 160; James Porritt taking 2nd in division 170; Jon Lund taking 3rd in division 170; Austin Early taking 3rd in division 220; Jon Hunt taking 5th in division 220, and Micah Vuki taking 3rd in division 285.

Kudos to these wrestlers for their achievements. It takes commitment, hard work, skill and muscle to claim a title. The Layton High Wrestling team is coached by brothers Adam and John Fager.