The Student News Site of Layton High School 440 Lancer Lane, Layton UT, 84041

Centurion

• LHS Choir SLC Tour Dec. 1, 2017

• Fall Musical Performance Nov. 30-Dec. 2nd, @7pm – 10pm Little theater

• Laytonairre Winter SLC Tour Nov. 28, @11AM – 9PM

• Thanksgiving Nov 23, 2017

• Junior Jostens Meeting Nov. 6, @10:00AM – 10:35AM

• BAM Walk-a-Thon Fundraiser Nov. 10, @7PM – 9PM, on the Layton high track

• Veterans Day Nov 11.

• Veterans Day observed Nov 10.

• Senior Graduation Meeting Nov. 6, @9:10am – 9:40am

• Daylight Saving Time ends Nov. 5

• Key Club blood drive Nov. 2, @8:00 AM auditorium foyer

• Key Club Induction Nov. 1, @7:00 PM Little Theatre

Woodshop Students Carve New Spear for the Wooden Lancer

A close-up of the spear reveals the intricacies in the details of the woodwork.

Morgan Smith

Morgan Smith

Sydney S.

The wooden Lancer statue currently residing in the gym foyer once resided in the commons. During LHS renovations in 2010 many school items were moved to storage for safekeeping. The statue had been carved in the ‘60’s by a local artist. It is a reminder of LHS Lancer tradition.  After school renovations, the administration questioned whether or not to put it back in the commons.  After discussion with Athletic director, Brad Hawkins, it was decided to move the statue to the foyer of the gym and in that setting the wooden spear was stolen.

The statue has stood without a spear—many rumors but nothing confirmed about it being stolen. Several faculty members wondered about getting the spear replaced. And this year the spear was returned to the Lancer.

Original Pride to Layton High Photographer Morgan Smith

Mr. Chapman the woodshop teacher was approached and asked if he would take on the task of creating a new spear. He agreed and enlisted the help of his students. Taylor Lakins and Hunter Day did most of the work with the guidance and assistance of Mr. Chapman. Hunter Day said he volunteered because he thought “it was a cool project and I liked the idea of having free reign over it.” Taylor Lakins said he volunteered because “I was disappointed the last one got stolen and I wanted to make a new one that would stay.” Before the project even started they took measurements of the Lancer Statue so that it would be proportional and balanced. According to Mr. Chapman it “took 2 or 3 mock ups before finding the right size and design.” Mock ups are smaller versions of the intended project that help the creators visualize what they will be creating. They found pictures in old yearbooks of what the original spear looked like for some inspiration. In the end Lakins said “we just had fun with it and made something cool.”

For both Lakins and Day their favorite part of the project was working with the leather that is tied around one end of the spear. They had a variety of leather types to choose from and it took a while to decide on. “The leather took longer than the spear,” according to Day. In the end they took a strip of leather from the what was available and stained it to the desired color, and cut it and wrapped it to where it is now on the spear.

After several weeks of work and several attempts at design, the spear was placed with the Lancer on October 11th, 2016. Many students and teachers are pleased to see the Lancer with his spear again continuing the tradition of the Roman Lancer. For Day and Lakins especially it means a lot to have a piece of their work displayed for many to see.