Centurion

The Unwritten Rules of Hallway Traffic

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Unwritten Rules of Hallway Traffic

Scotlun Vann attempts to direct hallway traffic

Morgan Smith

Morgan Smith

Morgan Smith

Steven A., reporter

Few people would choose to drive their car on the wrong side of the street for fear of accident or injury. Wise students at Layton High that want to avoid collision or injury are smart to obey the unwritten rules of hallway traffic.  The Layton hallways were probably not originally built to handle the present population of over 2,000 students. However, students can travel safely through the halls if they learn to obey the rules below:

The Unwritten Rules of Hallway Traffic:

1. Do not leave your “lane” of travel without signaling. The left side of the hallway is oncoming and the right side is progressive travel. If you leave your “lane” without signaling, there is great possibility of collision.
  2. When the hallway starts to narrow ahead, slow down slightly and allow entry of other travelers near you.
  3. If you must make an emergency stop, move to the side of the hallway. Clumping together with your friends obstructs the flow of normal traffic and causes multiple collisions of multiple people.
  4. When persons are trying to leave the stairwell, please make room for them to join regular traffic. It’s quite frustrating to push and shove in order to join regular traffic. By generating an opening for them, the entire hall manages to retain its speed.
  5. When attempting to enter a classroom that is on the opposite end of the hall, go past it and then as soon as possible make a U-turn and go with the flow of traffic to get to your class. It may seem inconvenient to do this to get to class but doing so reduces chances of both sides of the hallway slowing down.
  6. Maintain the “speed limit.” People should not go blazing down the hall, pushing and shoving their way past people. As long as rules 1 through 5 are followed by you and others, you shouldn’t need to be going so fast.
  7. Along not going above the “speed limit,” one should refrain from slowing the average hallway speed to a crawl. I’m not saying if you’re on crutches you should pick up the pace, but traveling under the speed limit for no reason impairs or slows down those around you.

Hallway travel should not create any undue stress on travelers. Be kind, be courteous and follow the unwritten rules of hallway traffic.

Now get out of my way!!!!!!!

Steven A., Reporter/Photographer

I'm currently a senior. I like music, writing, video games, and basically every animal. Equipped with my camera, headphones, and phone, I'm always looking...